Wednesday 6 May 2009

Light Tests for the bed area...

Lighting is something I find interesting to do in Maya, as you can get different results with different lights, so its fun to see what you get with which. Though as I am using Mental Ray to render, I cannot use directional, or volume lights as it does not support them. This is a shame as you can get some nice results with volume lights. So instead I have decided to use spot lights, an ambient light and point lights to light my environment. (All the images here have been rendered using Maya Software)

This first image has been done using a spotlight, without light linking, so the light is to spread out across the set to light the section I want, resulting in it being far to dark and having no shadows.

Here I have done the light linking put its still to dark, I know I want the moonlight to light the set, but I want to be able to see the objects. So it needs further looking into.
This next one is beginning to progress, and I  like the shadow on the curtain of the bed area, as it is nice and soft. I added a decay to the light so not to light up the rest of the room to much...but its still looking a little dark.
This one is a bit to bright as I turned up the intensity because of the decay, and has very little shadows, but the fairy lights are working well.

For this image I used a point light with a Linear decay, and it results in some really nice shadows coming of the objects. So I think I will go with a point light for this area. I will post a final result of the light soon.



No comments: