Wednesday 6 May 2009

Fixing the Shadows...

I have to say this week I feel like I have swallowed a Maya book for all the information I have had to learn to fix and get over the problems. The next issue I came across, was the loss of shadows when rendering with Mental Ray. While rendering with Maya Software I got some really nice shadows using depth map shadows and setting the resolution and filter size. 
Then When I started rendering in Mental Ray I no longer had the shadows and it was extremely dark...

At first I thought it was maybe because I hadn't done the window right, but after looking around online and in my Maya books I realised. It was because I hadn't switched Raytracing on in the light section. Such an easy mistake to make, but I haven't really used Mental Ray before. So I switched it on, hit the render button, and the result is below. 
The shadows on the picture above are a little to hard and are not as nice as the Maya Software shadows, and the chair is far to reflective. So I played around with the settings and turned down the reflectiveness on the chair. 


No comments: